One of the most common pain complaints is back pain. According to the American Chiropractic Association, more than 31 million Americans will suffer from low-back pain at any given time. It one of the most common reasons for missing work. The US Bureau of Labor Statistics in 2012, of the 443,560 cases reported for work related injury, 36% were back-related.
Chiropractic spinal manipulation is a safe and effective back pain treatment. It reduces pain, decreases medication, rapidly advances physical therapy, and requires very few passive forms of treatment, such as bed rest.
Chiropractic is also a great wellness treatment to prevent chronic pain should an injury occur.
Tips for Preventing Back Pain
- Maintain a healthy diet and weight.
- Remain active—under the supervision of your doctor of chiropractic.
- Avoid prolonged inactivity or bed rest.
- Warm up or stretch before exercising or other physical activities, such as gardening.
- Maintain proper posture.
- Wear comfortable, lower-heeled shoes.
- Sleep on a mattress of medium firmness to minimize any curve in your spine.
- Lift with your knees, keep the object close to your body, and do not twist when lifting.
- Quit smoking. Smoking impairs blood flow, resulting in oxygen and nutrient deprivation to spinal tissues.
- Work with your doctor of chiropractic to ensure that your computer workstation is ergonomically correct.
If you are suffering from back pain, whether from injury or disease, contact a trained chiropractor to learn about your options. For more information about Chambers Chiropractic & Acupuncture, visit our website here.